CrossConnects Workshop Series
Improving Data Mobility & Management for Science
ESnet has developed a series of workshops called CrossConnects, which facilitates discussions and coordinations between network engineers and domain scientists, especially in areas with growing data needs. The workshops are geared toward helping specific science domains use and understand the network, as well as responding to the unique networking needs of each domain.
Hosted at university campuses and government laboratories, the CrossConnects workshops are geared towards:
- Bringing domain scientists and IT staff together for active dialogue, trust and relationship building.
- Understanding scientists’ network experiences, needs, problems, and desired solutions related to data mobility, storage and analysis.
- Building collaborations to address data mobility issues that are revealed in the discussions.
If you are interested in partnering to build a CrossConnects Workshop on your campus or across campuses where you see value, please contact us: [email protected]
Past workshops include:
CrossConnects on Bioinformatics: "Improving Data Mobility & Management for Bioinformatics" held April 12-13, 2016.
- Day 1 (focus on Precision Medicine): Presentations
- Day 2 (focus on Data Challenges in Human and Plant Biomes): Presentations
- View the workshop agenda here
Missed the workshop? Watch the web archive here:
- Day 1 (focus on observational data and astronomy): Session 1, Session 2
- Day 2 (focus on simulation data and cosmology): Session 1, Session 2
- View the presentation slides and workshop agenda here.
- View the final report and next steps here
A key outcome of the 2015 CrossConnects was the establishment of a collaboration between ESnet and Keynote speaker Salman Habib, an eminent physicist and computer scientist at Argonne National Laboratory and the University of Chicago. This led to the Petascale DTN Project, which significantly improved the data transfer performance between the DOE HPC facilities at ANL, NERSC, and ORNL, and also NCSA.
CrossConnects on Climate Science: "Improving Data Mobility & Management for International Climate Science" held July 14-16, 2014.
Focused Technical Workshop: "Network Issues for Life Sciences Research" held July 17-18, 2013.